Saturday, January 2, 2010

Mexican Lasagne and Buttermilk Pound Cake

I invited my family over for dinner last night because it was New Year's day and I was off work. I had intended to clean the house all day, make a quick trip to the grocery store, start cooking around 5:00, and have dinner at 7:00. Instead, I slept in until 10:00, bummed around the house until 2:00, made it home from the grocery store around 4:30, and finally started making the cake around 5:15. Adam and I then proceeded to alternate between cooking and frantically cleaning until 7:30. We still got everything done that needed to be done, but the house wasn't as clean as I had wanted it to be.

The Mexican Lasagne was pretty easy, but Adam actually did most of the cooking. All I did was assemble it in the pan. I think the recipe may have been intended for a pan smaller than the 9X13 that I put it in. It still worked out ok, it just seemed like I had to spread it out a little thin to cover the whole pan.

The cake tasted delicious, but making it was an adventure. It would have been easier if I had supervised Adam a little more. The recipe calls for 5 eggs, adding one at a time and mixing well between each one. Adam decided to leave the mixer on while he cracked the eggs into it. This would have been fine if he hadn't dropped half an egg shell into the mixer. Because the recipe called for 3 sticks of butter and 5 eggs, I didn't want to just throw it out and start over. So we searched through the mixture and retrieved all the egg shells...we think. As far as I know, no one got any egg shells in their cake, but there's still 3/4 of a cake left over. Everything else went smoothly until it was time to turn the cake out onto a plate. A fairly big section decided to stay in the bundt pan. Luckily, my mom was there to help me get it out and the cake still looked pretty good. Overall, the evening was somewhat stressful, but a success.

1 comment:

Dawney & Gene said...

Everything was great! Next time don't stress out so much . . . it's just us! I'm so proud of you for doing this project . . . keep it up!